Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Moving in a new direction

I know that most of you may know that I am a teacher. So although I am on the interactive track, some how another, I tend to do work relating to my job. My school is different than the set-up of most public schools. Our students learn through project work and learning goals. They also have input on what they learn as well. We have individualized learning. We are still adjusting our curriculum, but that is the basis of it. I say all that to say, this year, staff was requested to write their personal learning plans on something they would like to change or enhance within their classroom. Some example topics were increase ACT scores, increase student's reading levels, assessments, individualization of curriculum, reading and writing workshops, etc. Of course, my topic is way off base from my colleagues. I chose to increase college readiness with my 12th grade students. I chose this topic because I think that some of my students are not taking the college prep seriously. They think they are going to be in high school forever. I talk with my peers to assist me with this, but they tell me they are going through themselves. I have been working with our college counselor to help expose the kids to post-secondary institutions, conducted college learning team meetings, put up a scholarship board and gave work related to college prep as class work. Some students take it seriously, most don't. Because I love to see what other people are doing, I was directed to a website http://www.nclack.k12.or.us/secondaryeducation/sse/index.html . Although this is not a web-based program, the tools were great and it connect so well to our schools philosophy and curriculum. This also a great program for connecting the teacher, student and parents. It also gives assessments so that everyone can see the progress of the program. Above everything else, it is a way to require from my kids what a professor will be looking for this time next year.


Until next time,

Aisha

Remember....It’s just me talking to u!!!

No comments: